The problem with not blogging frequently is that after a period of time, I have a few items to post about.
The weather outside was frightful
Okay, you can all stop laughing now. I realize that the weather here in Victoria has been exceptionally weird, but trust me, in one month’s time I will be the one laughing. From windchill at – 17° C to snow, snow and more snow lasting more than 2 days (try 2 weeks), it’s been different. I pulled out my winter coats for the first time since moving out here.
Ducks at Beacon Hill Park
The weather has had a negative effect on the birds in the area, one of the most visible are the ducks at Beacon Hill Park. A lady feeding ducks with us on New Year’s day told us of finding dead ducks on Christmas day. Vince and I believe it, as the ducks we were feeding were obviously starving and desperate for food. Note, there are signs posted in Beacon Hill saying to NOT feed the ducks. Ya right. We had teals, widgeons, scaups and mallards tripping over each other and our feet (lots of muddy shoes and pant hems) getting to the seed we were spreading around. In fact, I’d go so far to say that we were swarmed. Despite the obvious need for food, the whole experience brought a smile to my face.
I was inspired by my friend DH who shared with me her story of taking a hummingbird feeder out to her deck but before she could hang it, one little fellow came to the feeder. DH was forced to wait until he flew away before she could hang the feeder.
Vince and I filled and hung our hummingbird feeder a few days ago. Yesterday and today I have watched a few hummingbirds pay a visit.
Vince and I saw the owl again sitting pretty as you please on our building’s sign post a week ago. Yep, he’s in our neighbourhood.
You really don’t want to know how many books I’ve read this year. I can summarize to a certain extent:
- Karin Slaughter – all of her books
- Louise Penny – all of her books
- Lois McMaster Bujold – re-read the Miles Vorkosigan books; Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls and Hallowed Hunt
- Robin Hobb – Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Trilogy, Tawny Man Trilogy (re-read)
- Katherine Kurtz – Derynii series (re-read)
- Frank Herbert – Dune (classic series, re-read)
- Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson – Dune prelude series, Dune legacy series, Dune 7 (2 books)
- Kathy Reichs – all of her books
- Janet Evanovich – all the Stephanie Plum series
- Stephen R. Donaldson – Chronicles of Thomas Convenant the Unbeliever (re-read), the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
Um….well, there are a LOT more…I didn’t exactly keep track of them all.
I’m applying for the Masters of Public Administration at the University of Victoria. Who knows if I’ll get accepted. Feed the brain.