- First chemo drug is Adriamycin also known as Doxorubian. It’s given by “push” as in the nurse sits there with a large needle and gradually injects it. It is the most toxic of the two and because of potential tissue damage if outside of the vein, it’s administration must be monitored.Kinda makes you wonder what the hell it’s doing in the blood if it’s damaging to tissue.
- The second drug is cyclosphosphamide given by IV drip. I will receive 4 doses, once every 21 days.
- The next chemo drug is docetaxel. Again, I will receive 4 doses, once every 21 days.
I am on three anti-nausea drugs – each has their use and timing:
- infertility guaranteed – no biggie;
- more than likely will affect my periods, perhaps even induce a menopause, which may or may not be reversible (I’m still trying to decide if hot flashes on top of chemo and diabetes is a bad thing);
- hair loss – 100% – I have decided to get a wig even though I’ll wear it only 25% of the time – hair will grow back after chemo;
- red urine for 2 or three days – but I’ve found the trick to that, drink LOTS of water;
- fatigue – nothing I can really do but take care of me.