Thank you for your patience. I was waiting for results from latest CT scan and appointment with my medical oncologist so I could give you a good sit-rep.
Wow. Wow. Wow. How quickly things do change. October 24 was definitely the point we didn’t want to reach. This is my new reality. I am confirming that cancer is growing in my brain again. There’s some good/strange news too: the cancer in my body is stable. It’s just my brain that’s the issue.
So here’s my current situation:
- I currently have control of my left side again, how long that lasts is unknown;
- I am not the master of my own bladder, lots of leaks;
- I have periods of dizziness, which is very disconcerting, and what I’ve taken to calling wobbles, I am careful with every movement;
- I have had whole brain radiation – finished last Wednesday (all listed are known side effects):
- fatigue is my greatest foe;
- a foggy brain is finally lifting;
- hair loss is still possible, usually appears within 3 weeks – I actually shaved my head (I needed a haircut anyway, so why not?);
- I never knew radiation could affect taste buds…everything is ‘off’;
- lastly, I have a raspy voice and not much volume.
- My medical oncologist has taken the lead on my care;
- I am being weaned off my anti-inflammatory/steroid, which scares me as it’s what gave me my motion back;
- I will be starting an oral chemo pill on November 30, this chemo actually crosses the blood-brain barrier (huh).
Some pretty hard decisions are ahead of us, and Vince and I will be making them together.
At some point I will shut this blog down, depending on my ability to continue. I am setting up an email distribution list for Vince to keep people up to date. If you wish to be on this list, let me know by sending an email to gaylie “at” shaw.ca [This is a temporary email that will be deleted at the end of 2021]. I have many emails already but don’t want to assume.